by-line

All Writing and Photography © Alex Livingstone/Owner's Closet

Monday, April 27, 2009

Showdown in Roundtown

(Part three of a sequential tour narrative. Go to April, 25 2009 to start at the beginning)

Our first show was in Circleville, Ohio which is 35 miles south of Columbus. We ran into Sam and Jenna right when we pulled up to the venue, Toodles Pumpkin Inn. We loaded in, ate lasagna from a joint across the street, and hung out for a few minutes before playing. Sometime in between setting up and playing, the stage area took on an odor of feet that was pretty gross. I had gone to the bar for a shot and beer and while I was gone someone must have hidden some Fromunda cheese in Tim's amp so it would heat up and really permeate the room.

Anyway, we were to play three sets with two breaks no longer than fifteen minutes apiece. We had a list of around 25 songs and we played all but three of those. In their stead, Tim whipped out at least as many that I had never heard before which was exciting. We jammed a few blues numbers out, stretching our legs and seeing how we play together. After all, it was the first time the three of us had even been in the same room together. All in all, the show went really well. People I talked to expressed that they couldn't tell we had never played together before. I was a bit loosie-goosie but that's to be expected. I had been in a van for the better part of two days and was hung over from the previous night's adventure in Nashvegas. We spent the night at Tim's in-laws house, which was a really nice place on the out-skirts of Circleville. After the nightcap of a cold Natural Light I took from Richard's stash in the garage fridge, I retired to a bed and a room to myself. Oh, sweet slumber.

1 comment:

Lacey Underall said...

I LOVE Fromunda cheese!